Environmental Justice (LAH/HMN 350)
University of Texas at Austin
Final Assignment: Environmental Justice Class Project (Puerto Rico)
The final assignment for our class will consist of a class project in which we collectively identify a region of the world that would benefit from being examined from the perspective of the environmental justice framework.
The project will be built in an online environment (i.e., Scalar, Canvas, WordPress) and consist of sections that we determine will give a holistic picture of the history of the region in its relationship to environmental justice, a selection of environmental justice topics that are worthy of exploration, and a set of policy proposals designed to address these topics from within the contemporary and historical vantage points we have collectively assembled.
Topic Proposal and Front Matter Due: Wednesday April 24 (End of Class Period)
- Your entry in the Project Author section with a link to the section(s) you are building for the project.
- A constructed page that is linked in the appropriate "Table of Contents" area of the Scalar site (consult with me and associated class collaborators).
- 6 sources (listed in the class Bibliography page) that account for your preliminary research.
- 3 images that further the research or argument you are proposing.
- 2-3 paragraphs detailing the section of the project that you have identified as your own and the value of that section to the overall project.
First Draft Due: Monday May 13, 11:59pm (Notify me via email, firstname.lastname@example.org, when complete). Your final portion of the site in Scalar should contain the following elements.
- The section or page should contain approximately 1500 words (roughly three single spaced pages) that document and define the importance of the section you are researching.
- The section of page should link to at least 3 other pages within the Scalar site (i.e., to your class colleague's pages of research).
- The section or page should reference at least 5 sources. Each reference to a source should be identified in an appropriate format (APA, MLA, Chicago) and linked directly to the project Bibliography page. Example referencing a source linked to the Bibliography:
- According to Prescott, Puerto Rico's colonial history directly informs its present state of economic disparity as related to the rum industry and its stagnant wages (Prescott, 2018)
- At least 3-5 images and 1-2 videos, podcasts, or audio clips (as appropriate for the topic). Videos will need to be embedded into the page (ask me for assistance if/as needed). Images will need to be uploaded to the "Media" section located in your Dashboard. Each image should have a reference to the producer of the image, or, the webpage on which it was found. This image should list this citation in the "Description" of the image. When embedding an image, choose to display "Title and Description." Example for adding an image:
This page references:
- Demand Safe Drinking Water in Puerto Rico
- Call to Action (Puerto Rico)